Fastback 24


Here is my overzealous trim repair after the epoxy set.

IMG_4823

And here it is again after filing and sanding. It looks great!

IMG_4825 IMG_4827

With the hinge installed I can finally open and close my cockpit! Such a small thing, but it seems like a major milestone to me! 🙂

IMG_4828

The Show Planes instructions show the side of the canopy skirt being flush with the side skin, not the forward skin. However, I decided I wanted to trim it  just a little further aft, in order to be flush with the 801pp forward skin that ends one rivet further back. To do this, I would need to extend the length of the fillets. No problem! I have a little bit of the original portion of the fillets, and I was able to quickly fabricate extensions. Joining these two will be a breeze, but as I’m not ready to complete the fillets just yet, I will return to that later.

IMG_4830

The rear seat back top no longer has any pin holes, so I decided to complete that project quickly.

IMG_4832 IMG_4833 IMG_4834

With the rear seat complete, I set about beginning the installation of the canopy skirt bulkheads and supports. Show Planes recommends using flox to adjoin the parts. With the honeycomb have such a large gap, that was going to be an incredible amount of flox! I decided to put some fiberglass in the honeycomb first. This will increase the strength and should reduce the amount of flox required.

IMG_4835

It wasn’t easy though. The thin strips of fiberglass were a pain to work with. I’m not sure if I will do this again.

IMG_4836

Following my buddy Mike’s lead, I decided to convert most of my phillips screws to torx. Its been on my list for quite awhile, but as I’ve been working on the canopy frame, I’ve had to place and remove the instrument panel cover about a million times, and I’m already fed up. Phillips are the worst.

Microfasteners.com

Albany County Fasteners

Screen Shot 2016-06-25 at 22.18.38Screen Shot 2016-06-25 at 22.19.01

Leave a comment