Wings


Wings 43

My buddy Steven joined me at the airport today. The initial plan was to fiberglass the outer area of the canopy to canopy skirt mating. However, on examining the canopy bond, I wasn’t comfortable removing the rivets. The Hysol 9430 data sheet says five days to a full cure at room temperature, or one hour at 180 deg F. Given the temps this week – that probably means 2 – 3 days for a full cure. The adhesive was certainly hard, but there was a small bit of tackiness to the touch, and I could dent it very slightly with a fingernail. No reason to push my luck. As a result, I needed a new project to work on in the interim.

As I’m trying to tie up loose ends before mating the wings, this was an excellent time to work on the other landing light. I couldn’t immediately find the stencils for cutting out the landing lights, so we decided to use the other landing light to make the stencil. This was a little extra work, but ultimately I was glad to do it this way as it would make sure we had an exact match.

img_5170.jpg

Steven setting up the stencil

1c6945da-eef3-4d15-82df-5ac870682d9e.jpg

Tracing the stencil

In addition to making a new stencil, we also measured everything several times to have set reference points. Then we switched wings and setup for the cut.

6d7ff548-9d5d-423f-9f78-9d61ef2089cb.jpg

Here you can see the results of the stencil being marked for cutting.

img_5171.jpg

I used my dying dremel to make the cut. I thought my dremel needed new bearings, but Steven took it apart and found that the bearings were good (he cleaned and oiled them) but that I needed a new switch! Man this guy should come help in the shop more often!!!

176cfc8f-2693-4f6c-8f0b-5a9469c5f589.jpg

aa9204ee-b80a-4d6f-8795-300c20b47a2a.jpg

After cutting I used the dremel and files to get the edges smoothed and the lines straight.

4368978d-774f-4e5e-a3fe-63108beaaaff.jpg

Interestingly enough, I found the original stencils after we completed the cut. It was validating to find that they matched both in shape and in measurements to the rivets. This meant two things – first that my original landing light was accurately cut, and that my stencil and second landing light was also accurately done!

During the day we also had an EAA Chapter picnic and Steven was able to meet several other builders and see other planes. When the cut was finished, we stopped by Mike’s hangar. Mike asked Steven what time he had to leave for the day – I knew where this was going – but clearly Steven didn’t! He replied “well I have to leave basically right now.” So, Mike just laid it out, ¬†well if you can stick around I will take flying. Not surprisingly, Steven found that his 3pm hard stop was a bit more flexible!

img_5173.jpg

When Steven got back – his excitement was contagious. Looks like he had an awesome time, and I’m glad Mike was able to give him a ride. Everyone’s first non-commercial airplane ride should be in an aircraft as cool as RVs!

Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 12.04.05

Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 12.01.18

A true “RV Grin”!!!


Fuel Tanks (0.5 hr)

This afternoon I tested the right fuel tank for leaks. On the first try, there was a small leak. It was almost imperceptible to the eye, but over time it was decreasing. I was immediately dismayed. I broke out the soapy water and Jack and I inspected the entire tank. No leaks were observable. I decided I would tighten and check all the manometer connections, re-lube the fuel cap seal, and put the end cap on the valve stem. After making these tweaks, no more leak. In fact, as the temperature increased, the tank gained pressure. So, after many trials and tribulations, the fuel tanks are finally COMPLETE!