Fuel Tanks 13 (5.5 hrs)


Riveting and sealing has begun.  I bought syringes, tongue depressors, and gloves yesterday and boy, I sure used them today.  The sealant has the consistency of cold honey, or mozzarella cheese… it makes a mess everywhere.  It took some time for me to get my technique down, but by the end of today’s session I’ve got it down pat.

I didn’t make enough sealant to begin with.  I would recommend about 60 grams per tank for all of the stiffeners.  My first syringe was a 35cc syringe.  Not big enough.  Later I moved on to the 60cc syringe which was much easier to use.  Plus, if you need to use a smaller syringe for a tight spot, its easy (and avoids the mess) to use the bigger syringe to dispense some sealant into a smaller one.20140126-163014.jpg

Not too many pictures on the first tank, as I didn’t want to touch my phone with messy hands.  Here is the end result. 20140126-163022.jpg

20140126-163031.jpg

The first tank is much messier as I gave up on the 35cc syringe halfway through and used a tongue depressor instead.  Some people put tape down and spend lots of time on making it neat.  Its sealant.  It doesn’t need to be neat, it needs to be sealed. 20140126-163051.jpg

On the second tank, I used the 60cc syringe.  Perfect.  Application is easy, neat, and you avoid waste. 20140126-163058.jpg

20140126-163105.jpg

20140126-163114.jpg

End result on the second tank.  The 60cc syringe fits perfectly over the shop head of the rivets.  With a little finesse I was able to perfectly coat each shop head with sealant.  The large syringe is awesome. 20140126-163123.jpgThe final act for the day was to take the skins into the basement.  The temperature is in the 20’s today and I’d prefer the sealant set in warmer conditions.  The basement is about 63.

All in all, today was a productive day.  In the next session I’ll do the fuel caps, vents and start on the ribs.

Leave a comment