Fastback 56


Here are the photos of the front fairing from the previous session in the shop. As I mentioned in the last post, I used a little bit of rage gold. Having gone from never working with rage gold or epoxy, to now nearly finishing this canopy and skirt – I’ll offer a few quick observations. As a general rule, I’m not a huge fan of body filler. The only thing it has going for it is the speed with which it dries and can be sanded. In all other aspects, strength, appearance, application, I prefer flox or micro balloons and epoxy depending on the application. My general technique would now be to use body filler as a last resort for areas of small discrepancies after using micro.

IMG_5127

IMG_5128

Tonight’s session in the shop focused on bonding prep. I further sanded the mating surfaces on the skirt, (directions call for 80 grit, which I’ve used previously, but tonight I used some 60 grit to really get a great adhesion surface) and completely cleaned all the edges of the canopy to remove stress risers / unseen cracks. All that stands between bonding the canopy and now is some additional tape / covering for the canopy, and sanding the canopy mating surfaces. I fully expect to bond the canopy this weekend. I’m excited to be nearing completion of the canopy and skirt.

Leave a comment