Its been more than 3 weeks since I was last in the shop! I had a trip to Charleston South Carolina one weekend, and another weekend taken up with homework for my MBA program. (Accounting… yuk). I also took a weekend and completely vegged out. I have a tendency to take on large workloads and multiple projects that can wear me thin. Sometimes I have to take a step back and recharge or I will get burned out. This weekend, is of course Thanksgiving. So its been a four day weekend that I can relax, work on the plane, and get some homework done all at the same time.
Before I get on to the project, there is other aviation related news. I’ve rejoined Fort Meade Flying Activity (www.fmfa.aero) and I will be getting checked out in the Piper Arrow. I also need to do a BFR and IPC. My wife and I want to do a couple overnight trips, and I figured it would be fun to do some flying around here, so its time to stop procrastinating.
On to the project. First, I finally completed the other tie down bracket as I’d received a shipment from Van’s. I bought the tank sealant, flop tubes, new delux fuel caps, and the silly rivets I was out of. Next up, I started by making the leading edge cradle. I used scrap wood and really took Van’s instructions of “don’t waste time making it perfect” to heart. Its a POS, and it took no time at all to build, but it serves its purpose nicely. I completed clecoing both leading edges together and mounted them to the spars.
While I was in Charleston I picked up some swag from my alma mater. Here’s Squire trying on my new hat.