After priming the flaps in my last shop session, it was time to start final assembly. First thing first, I went to borrow my buddy Mike’s heater. Its better than my propane setup. I’ve never seen it state “LO” as the temperature. I guess it doesn’t read below 30… it was 20 degrees F outside… and in the hangar!
The first thing I needed to do was to make a cradle for the flaps. Van’s instructions calls for it, and its a good idea, but you can probably get by without one. I used some spare board I had laying around. I screwed the two pieces together. I used an end rib to trace where to cut, and then cut with a circular saw. I used my belt sander to make sure the bottoms were absolutely identical so they would mount to the bench and maintain a true alignment.
The nut plate is a little odd, in that it has one rivet through the 706 and the other just through the rib. The directions call for the 706 to be countersunk for a 426 rivet, but there is no mention of the other rivet. The rib is too thin of a material to countersink, and dimpling would likely leave the nut plate slightly uneven. The course of action chosen by several builders is to use an Oops rivet, which needs significantly less countersink.