Fastback 30


The first step today was to clean up any excess flox and epoxy from last night. I used a dremel and a sanding block to clean the fillets, corners, and surfaces.

IMG_4865

You can see the results here:

IMG_4866 IMG_4867 IMG_4868

Next I began applying micro balloon filets. Bryan from showplanes said the diameter of a dime is a good reference. Thats pretty darn close the diameter on the end of a tongue depressor so I used that. Here is the first fillet on the forward section of the forward bulkhead.

IMG_4869 IMG_4870

A few observations from my first time working with micro balloons and epoxy. You can likely quadruple the quantity of the material. I found a half pump of epoxy went a LONG way. The resulting paste is very light. Be sure to wear breathing protection as these glass bubbles won’t mix well with your lungs. For the fillets I had to mix the micro and epoxy almost to the consistency of peanut butter so that the curved fillet would retain its shape. The goal is to maintain as much viscosity as you can, without resulting in sag. This takes quite a bit of micro in the ratio.

IMG_4872 IMG_4874 IMG_4875 IMG_4876

I also began filling the edges of the honeycomb bulkheads and stiffeners. For this, I used a slightly more viscous mixture of micro to allow the mixture to flow down into the honeycomb slightly. You don’t want it so viscous that it completely seeps downward, but you want a nice bond and fill.

IMG_4878

I repeated the process for both the stiffeners. I used fast hardener today, and was able to rotate the canopy skirt relatively quickly.

IMG_4879 IMG_4881

My last 5 min project for today was to cut the empennage fairing into three pieces. This is my next project.

IMG_4884 IMG_4885

Leave a comment