Vertical Stab 4 (5.0 hrs)


Jack stopped by today to drop off a few tools and pick up a few that he needed for a small project.  He also brought me this block he made for hanging his horizontal stabilizer.  My first project for the day was to get that hung.

20130413-130559.jpg20130413-130606.jpg20130413-130614.jpgNext up was completing the dimpling for the vertical stabilizer.  Here is my ghetto setup for dimpling with my c-frame. 20130413-130620.jpg20130413-130627.jpgJack also brought me this swivel connection which I set up for my pneumatic squeezer. 20130413-171258.jpg20130413-171305.jpgI also had to dimple the rear spar and countersink the spar reinforcement.  My last attempt at countersinks wasn’t the best, so I took my time to set the countersink cage up correctly.20130413-171321.jpgHere is my quick and easy dimpling setup.20130413-171327.jpgI also made a 1/8″ countersink gauge for dimple countersinks.  Now I can use this to accurately check that the countersink is the appropriate depth for the dimple.20130413-171334.jpgHere is the end product of my countersinking effort.

20130413-171353.jpg

20130413-171401.jpg

The final task was to prep all the vertical stabilizer parts for priming.  I’m going to hold off on priming and riveting as I want to prime more parts at once in order to reduce waste and save time.  That being the case… its time to start work on the rudder.20130413-171411.jpg

Leave a comment