This morning I finished all of the dimpling on the skin and the trim attachment plate. I’ve got a family get together for lunch (MD blue crab… My favorite!) and this evening I’m hoping to prime.
Ok, the trim plate. There is an order that should be followed on this trim plate, and it should be readily apparent, but if you’re me, that’s not always the case.
- Match drill the plate to the skin.
- Match drill the plate to the nut plates
- Deburr all holes and all edges to include the inside edge
- Use dimple die #6 for the larger screw holes.
- Dimple the remaining holes (3/32′)
- Dimple the nut plates
Do all of this before attaching anything. On my last elevator I was completely not paying attention and I riveted this plate to skin prior to doing anything with the nut plates. It was still salvageable, but not pretty nor the best method. If you dimple the 3/32″ holes for the nut plates before the #6, you’ll find that the #6 die touches the 3/32″ dimples