Bad news first. I cracked the left elevator skin while bending the tabs where the trim tab begins. It was going south already, and I was already contemplating a replacement. The crack was the final straw. A dent or a bad rivet (depending on the severity of course) I can live with, but a crack is a seriously problem that either needs to be properly repaired or replaced. I don’t feel comfortable repairing it given its location and would rather replace it now than later. I’m extremely dismayed by this turn of events as its going to cause a significant delay in my progress. I’m still hoping to have the empennage complete before the wings arrive… we’ll see. I also made quite a mess of the trim access panel. But in the end it was serviceable…
On the bright side, I finished riveting the right elevator. All that remains is to bend the leading edge and secure the counterweight.
Here is the result. I think the severe heat and humidity was affecting my brain today because I made multiple mistakes. This trim access panel looks like complete crap. At this point in the day I should call it a day as I’m already contemplating replacement parts… but I pressed on.
The next step on the task list was to bend the tabs on the left elevator. Well I managed to crack one…. I’m not even going to tell you how I managed to do that, as its so stupid I’m embarrassed. Now I’ve definitely decided to replace the elevator.
So I went to Van’s website to price the parts I need:
- Elevator Skin E-701-L ($64.55)
- Elev Trim Mounting Plate E-615 ($6.95)
- K1100 Nut Plates ($8.96 for 14)
- Elevator Stiffeners E-720H ($6.10)
- Elevator Stiffeners E-720DEFG ($7.00)
- TOTAL $93.56 plus whatever shipping will be. I’ll place the order tomorrow.
I’m not a happy camper right now. 🙁